Friday, January 16, 2009

stressing out!

wow. I have really been stressing out about getting back into my blog. I still haven't blogged about New Year's, and I keep feeling like I have to do it all in consecutive order... MUST. UPDATE. BLOG.... is all I can think about.
Well, I have to get over the consecutive thing because I'm forgetting so many awesome things that Walter and Grant are doing!

Mostly these things involve talking. They are talking so much! Gone are the days of worrying about their progress (well, if I really stop and think about it, I can worry about just about anything when it comes to these two) and here are the days of enjoying having real conversations with them! At night when we are in bed I try to get them to talk about their day with me. What we did, did they enjoy it, are they excited about tomorrow, etc. The other night Brian put Walter to bed (now that Walter is in a big boy bed, too, we are doing bedtime separately, which I think they really need- some one on one time with each of us) and when he came downstairs afterwards, he said that he and Walter had just had a conversation. I think it went something like this-
Brian: I have to go downstairs now and do some work.
Walter: you work home?
Brian: yes, I'm going to do a little bit of work from home tonight.
Walter: on puter?
Brian: yes. I brought my computer home so that I could get some work done tonight.
Walter: oh. ok.

(when I say it's a conversation, remember that they are still only 2!)

And the other night when Walter and Grant were at the dinner table, I told them I was going to go put on my pajamas, so they should have a conversation with eachother. I even told them what to say. I said, Walter, you say Hi, Grant. How was your day today? And Grant, you say, Hi Walter, it was good, thank you so much for asking.
When I walked away I heard Walter say, "Day today?"
I think that was pretty good.

One of the funniest things that happens, and it happens a lot around here, is when one of them apologizes to the other. I never thought about how confusing this might be to a child. For instance, Grant hurts Walter. I say, Grant, you need to say you're sorry to Walter.
Grant: Sorry, Yalter.
Me: Now Walter, you say It's ok, Grant.
Walter: Ok, Gant.
Grant: Ok, Yalter.
Walter: No, me say ok!
Grant: No, me ok!
Walter: No, me!
and so on. They don't understand that the one who is being apologized to is the one who says it's ok.

There is also a lot of what I am calling False fighting. Grant is holding a truck, but so is Walter, and Grant says MY truck. Then Walter says, No, MY truck, and it goes on and on like this, but they both have their own truck so they're not really fighting over anything. This can be very funny, but also very frustrating because it's hard to explain to them, when they're fighting, that they don't really need to be fighting. The fighting has seemed to be escalating lateley, so I'm trying to push the love.

On another note, Gant and Yalter are going to have a new cousin any day now! We are so excited! Maybe he or she will be born on inauguration day- that's Rachel's due date. I think everyone is feeling like it's going to be a girl. We can't wait to meet the little one and we're hoping for a safe and relatively easy labor for Rachel! I can't wait to hear all about the delivery from John, and I really can't wait to hear how he feels about seeing his child for the first time. We're thinking about you, John and Rachel.


Yesterday I went and got Walter and Grant much-needed haircuts and I will post a picture of their cute as hell little selves! hee hee.

3 comments:

Rachel and Chad said...

Aww, so fun that the boys are conversing! haha...I bet it's so cute. A few questions for you:
1. Has your brother had his baby yet?
2. Any updates on the moving situation?
3. When can I see you and your beautiful boy?

Oh! Also, tell Brian that I am now a fan of Craig's List. I sold 4 pieces of furniture in 24 hrs.

Rachel and Chad said...

Please forgive me - I want to see BOTH of your beautiful boyS. (#3 above)

Anonymous said...

I love the conversations. I think they are talking so well and I'd like more of the conversations whenever you think to post them.

Mommy