Thursday, October 28, 2010

Feeling crafty

I've been wanting to do something with Walter and Grant's bathroom. It's boring white tile, white counter tops, and it's flanked by their bedrooms, which have this hideous pink carpet leftover from the girls who used to live here.

They're actually sharing a bedroom now, and we've turned Walter's room into a craft room. Things are working out much better this way.


But last weekend we all went to Target to buy Halloween costumes. And a trip to Target always ends with so much more than the intended purchase.
We came home with these cute fish hand towels for their bathroom. And they had all these other towels on clearance, so we got solid orange body towels and shaggy orange circular rugs. Everything was like $1.50, so of course felt like we were being sooo smart.
We got it home and it was all very orange. I love orange. (remember our orange wedding invitations?). But Grant and Walter were complaining about not wanting an orange bathroom. So the next day I went back and got some navy towels. And a cute bath towel with an octopus on it. And then I bought these stools that I decorated with paper. And this is where I'm going with this.... I had so much fun making these stools. I wanted them to coordinate, but not exactly match. That's more of a challenge than you'd think with twins. They want everything to be exactly the same. I bought the paper, then I let them pick out which papers would be on their stools. Walter was upset that his didn't have enough robots, so I cut out a few extras and put them floating in the water. Then I put decoupage on top. We'll see how well they hold up. I'm hoping forever. It's not likely.

So, these are the towels...

and these are the stools....




And again the lovely pink carpet.

5 comments:

Kate Rudder said...

Fun. Did you use a spray on varnish? I've never done a decoupage before. But I do have two children's rooms that need attention.

waltergrant said...

No, I used a paintbrush and mode podge- it's just glue, really. You put it under and on top of the paper. It leaves a matte finish.

Rachel and Chad said...

LOVE IT! Looks great. I need a craft room...

Linda said...

Mary, what an inspiration to all of us! The stools are SO cute.

Sara said...

My whole family got here before me! Your skills are clearly very impressive to us! I LOVE the stools. And that sweet picture of the boys above the toilet is perfect there! Can you please come to my house and help me decorate? I will provide lots of wine.