Friday, March 13, 2009

Chattanooga

Last weekend we went to Chattanooga to meet (finally!) our new niece, Claire-Ann. She's awesome! She could not be any cuter or sweeter. She has these adorable little rosebud lips and beautiful blue eyes. Unfortunately I did not get to see too much of her eyes- this child sleeps! The first day we saw her, Friday, she did not open her eyes once for me, but on Saturday I caught a few glimpses. I think the three of them were a little sleep-deprived. I've said this a lot- it is hard to travel with kids. I'm not sure it gets any easier- ever! (Katy could probably tell us better than anyone.)
So we saw John, Rachel and Claire-Ann at Granny Betsy's house on Friday, then we went to Granddad's to spend the night that night. Saturday morning we left the house around 8 and went to have breakfast at Aretha Frankenstein's. Dad has been telling me about this place for a while now, so it was fun to finally experience it: those perfectly circular, extremely puffy pancakes. They were yummy. Dad bought us some of the pancake mix, so we will try to recreate them.
After breakfast, we went to the Creative Discovery Museum. I've been wanting to take Grant and Walter there for ages, and I'm so glad we finally went. They had a blast! We learned that we should pack a change of clothes for next time- or use the waterproof aprons they provide. Walter and Grant were so wet when we left that we had to take off their shirts. And there is the most wonderful sandbox- where the kids can dig up dinosaur bones- but of course they play with water first, so the sand sticks to their wet clothes. Wet and sandy- not my favorite combo.
Really, though, this museum was so much fun and I recommend a day trip to Chattanooga just for it- if you don't have time to see anything else. It amazes me how much there is to do with kids in such a small radius in Chattanooga- we have as much or more to do here, but you have to travel pretty far to get to everything. There, you don't have to drive more than about 10 minutes to get to anything. Next time we go, I'd like to do Rock City or Lake Winnie.
After the museum, we went to Reflection Riding for a family picnic. We ate at the very place where Brian proposed to me! It was a beautiful day and we're glad Walter and Grant got to spend this time with Granddaddy JAC, Granny Betsy, Granddad, and his cousin, aunt and uncle. RR has always been a special place for me and my family. It was fun to see Walter and Grant running (or being carried, while screaming) down the same gravel roads where I used to run when I was little.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take my camera to Chatt- but I will have plenty of pics from Uncle John to upload.

here we go- I'm not sure why these came out so small- even when I selected the largest setting.






4 comments:

Unknown said...

slowly i am catching up on blog-reading. you are a great writer! so happy to hear about your family's doings and adventures. yes the target recount is hilarious. great job
MOM! i still havent taken both my kids much of anywhere together by myself and tales like this are what deter me! ha. j/k. as someone commented, i think when they're both toddlers ut will be even more challenging. i look to you for tips! maybe you all can venture down here soon...
OH! and PS - i've been dying to tell you that that first blue moon i had was the best ever. ah. -joy.

waltergrant said...

Joy, I would love to come see you guys! Just tell me when (what day of the week?) is a good time and we will come down! It's been so good to see pictures of you and Cora and I can't wait to see you guys in person!

Sara said...

Mary, I was first going to say I couldn't believe you hadn't gone to Aretha Freinkenstein's (sp?) until last weekend - it's one of my favorites. For future reference, Katy went into labor with Miles shortly after eating some huge ice cream extravaganza thing there.

Then I read you went to The Creative Discovery Museum for the first time too - even more exciting! I LOVE going there with Miles and Eliza, and I love the bone digging area too! The aprons are a definite must in the future, and they look so cute in them! Can't wait until I can take Elliott.

Your niece is precious as can be!

Kate Rudder said...

Um. On the traveling with kids thing...I can only speak to 13 hour plane trips and other such awful adventures, where in that case, a codeine laced cough medicine combined with a night flight is highly recommended. And I do not take lightly to drugging my kids. After MANY undrugged flights, I finally realized it was better for all involved, especially the kids, to knock them out.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any solution to the sleepiness and crabbiness of being away from home though.